Irish Gamers Community

Hello! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Steam Dropping Support for Windows XP and Windows Vista in 2019

Heaven__

Administrator
Staff member

If you are someone who is still primarily on a Windows XP or Windows Vista PC (… in 2018, for whatever reason), you might want to upgrade your OS by the year end, especially if you have a substantial library of Steam games.

Valve has announced that it will be dropping support for Windows XP and Windows Vista in 2019- which not only means that the client will no longer support those OSs, but also that your Steam games will not be playable on them at all. Which is kind of a shame, since many games only work well on Windows XP.

The reason Valve cites for this move is newer features in Steam relying on an embedded version of Google Chrome, which in turn also does not support anything lower than Windows 7.

Now, I get the distaste of locking people out of their libraries unless their OSs are upgraded (especially since game preservation and continuity are often cited as benefits of PC gaming), but on the other hand- seriously. If you’re still on Windows XP or Vista, please upgrade. They’re super old, and super susceptible to virus attacks and security exploits.

deltamind

Been a lot of years since I upgraded from Vista to 7, I wish they don't drop support for 7 in the next 10 years at least.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)

Videos

Live Streams

GEICOGaming
Street Fighter V
Geico Weekly Play-Ins Street Fighter V West
DansGaming
World of Warcraft
Immersive RP Questing - PalaDan Tank
✨🔴ASMR [L I V E] come listen! + new video ---> !youtubeasmr🔔 (SNAPCHAT 4 SUBS)✨
Internet video game streams for the internet.
IGN
Talk Shows
Gamescom: Gameplay Interviews & More! - IGN Live 2018

Reviews

Platform Game Score
Xbox one The Crew 2
Xbox one Assassin's Creed: Origins
Xbox one South Park: Fractured But Whole
Xbox one Tokyo 42
PS4 For Honor
PS4 Watchdogs 2
PS4 Table Top Racing: World tour