Irish Gamers Community

Hello! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

For Honor Review

Dermot

Administrator
Staff member

• Game: For Honor
  • Developer: Ubisoft
  • Platform: Xbox One, PS4, PC
  • Release Date: Febuary 4th 2017
  • Price: $60/£44.99/€74.99
  • Review Copy: PS4

What is For Honor?

For honor is a 3rd person, over the shoulder slash type game from ubisoft that lets users take over the roles of either a samurai, a knight or a viking as seen in the image above. Each character has it's own fighting style with optional upgrades for weapons, armor and more. The many fighting styles can be mastered by the unique new battle control system the game employs, more on that later. Mastering these styles can make the difference on the battlefield, in the single player campaign or the multiplayer.

I found myself switching between the different types of characters/warriors in the game and found a decent balance between them and quickly noted what some benefits some carried and some downfalls also, specifically speed vs strength but at least you were not always locked to a specific character.

Single Player

Single player sees you go through individual stories about each of the 3 warrior classes in the game, which is a good way to get used to the three classes also. In the story mode you travel across various locations that pit you against hordes of enemies and particular bosses and local leaders as you progress and get stronger and more re-nowned as a hero. I started singe player before multiplayer and found it a great way to get used to the fighting styles and found the stories interesting if not a little rushed. The plots were small and seemed a little rushed but kept me interested all the same. The story mode may not be everyone's cup of tea and you may find yourself just going to the multiplayer end of for honored instead. The npc in the game seem to be very defensive in the sense they seem to always just block and move backwards from you that may seem frustrating at times, like you're just slashing furiously to kill some stupid npc with a shield that won't fight back.

Multiplayer

Multiplayer is where for honor achieves some of it's goals in the combat side of things as you will now be attacking real people with real responses and that is a good thing! I found myself matching off to many real players on the multiplayer of for honor to fight for ages to be pushed off edges or fall off myself, which is ok but was been exploited a lot at the start but i believe ubisoft fixed this soon after. The multiplayer mode duel lets you fight directly against a cpu player or a real person with a scenario of best of 5 outcome.

Brawl was a similar mode but it was a 2v2 scenario and no cpu controlled character was in it, which meant if your partner dies, you would have to fight two people at once, which seen my demise many, many times. you also have deathmatch, elimination types modes that are either 4v4 or 5v5 type matches to the last team standing with a capture the flag type mode called dominion. Stats are collected on most fight modes in multiplayer which like most other games, collect your kills, deaths etc.

Combat System

The combat system in For Honor is one created by the team behind the game and it is quite the learning curve at first but once you start to master the control system, it pays off when you come toe to toe with another NPC or human in the game. I found the control system quite innovative and fitted the gameplay perfectly and can see why they have to get this part right for the game.

Graphics

For Honor uses the all-so-popular AnvilNext 2.0 game engine which is the same game engine used in previous Ubisoft games like Assassin's Creed Syndicate, Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege, and the more recent Steep. This means it has some issues but still visually apt when seen on screen and no slouch when it comes to how many hero's and warriors it can have on screen at once.

Quality textures, environmental detail, and shadows are present. There’s the typical anti-aliasing and ambient occlusion also and the game should look even better in 4k if ubisoft use their checkboard rendering cheat like they do in some other of their titles, but unfortunately i don't have a hdr enabled 4k tv to check! but i will include a pc 4k graphics review below which looks at all 4 settings of graphics for honor, while thats not on ps4, one or two of the pc settings wll be pretty close the ps4 performance.

PROS

• Visually great
  • Decent multiplayer with many modes available
  • innovative combat system
  • single player is basically a tutorial
CONS
  • Repetitive at times
  • AI/NPC unchallenging at most
  • Too many push off ledge moments (fixed?)
  • matchmaking troublesome at times
Final Verdict

While For Honor is not perfect in any sense, the style and type of game is not widespread and ubisoft have put a lot of work into this title and it shows. The one player aspect of the game needs some more love but if it was their intention to have it seems more like a tutorial to get used to the game for multiplayer then they succeeded. If you're a hack/slash fan then you will love For Honor as it doesn't disappoint in this area with be-headings, limb dismemberment and much more taking place. The multiplayer end of For Honor can be good fun but can be ruined quickly if your partner doesn't want to ptfo and i hope the match making in For Honor can only improve over time. All in all, For Honor is a great game but i don't know if in it's current state would i be prepared to pay full price for it, perhaps when when the price drops , i would definately recommend it as a purchase.

Score

8.0/10

Last edited by a moderator:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Videos

Reviews

Staff Streams