A whole new way of playing Zombies in Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War is coming later this week, as Treyarch has finally pulled back the curtains for Black Ops Cold War Zombies Outbreak — the large-scale zombies experience the studio has teased for Season 2!
Before anything else, dive into the trailer below to see how it plays and then read up on the gameplay mechanics.
Details, as posted on the official Call of Duty Blog can be found below in a nicely summarized version of their post.
Operation Threshold – Requiem’s Gambit in OutbreakThis objective-based game experience will task squads of up to four Operators with aiding Requiem in their biggest undertaking yet: Operation Threshold. Set across multiple regions in the Ural Mountains of Russia, Outbreak encourages exploration and risk-taking to maximize the spoils of these zombie-infested territories, with teamwork and coordination being essential to completing your missions and living to tell the tale.
Across “Die Maschine” and “Firebase Z,” Requiem learned just how far ahead Omega Group is in their arms race to harvest Aetherium – potentially an even deadlier secret war compared to the public conflict between the East and West.
After several desperate attempts to catch up to their adversaries, the CIA-backed international research group and task force have finally discovered a major breakthrough: the largest Outbreak zone on the planet.
Following this discovery, Requiem launched Operation Threshold, a multi-faceted campaign involving all of Requiem’s research departments. Already, Requiem’s Science and Military Research departments have identified three massive regions in the Outbreak zone to explore and investigate.
Even with this breakthrough, however, Omega Group is still one step ahead of Requiem, as they’ve begun investigating these regions long before Requiem arrived. Both sides not only believe the secrets waiting in the Ural Mountains to hold the key to fully understanding the Dark Aether’s power… it may just be the key to winning the Cold War.
Black Ops Cold War Zombies Outbreak Screenshots
The following objectives will appear during runs of the Outbreak objectives:
- Defend – The goal here is to defend a zombie sample that is being extracted for research.
- Escort – Protect a rover against hoards of zombies as it travels through the map in search dimensional portal. Once found, ensure it makes it through the portal in one piece.
- Retrieve – Locate the two Aether harvesters and secure their canister of Aetherium Crystals to escort. Team work is an absolute must here as the carrier won’t be able to use their own weapons, though are equipped with a new field upgrade that emits a small blast to knock zombies back.
- Eliminate – Find and locate the high value target for termination while dealing with waves of zombies.
- Holdout – Similar to the classic zombie experience, this objective will have players fight against zombies in confined spaces. Board up windows and doors and survive until time is out.
However, there is another option available as a portal will also appear at the same time, letting players take it to another outbreak region. Rewards are increased, as with the level of difficulty.
As for what those rewards are?
- Raw Aetherium Crystals – Requiem agents know this resource well. These are used to upgrade Skills for Weapon Classes, Field Upgrades, Perks, and Ammo Mods through the first three Tiers of power.
- Refined Aetherium Crystals [NEW] – A more matured crystal structure. A greater energy source used to upgrade Skills to Tier IV.
- Flawless Aetherium Crystals [NEW] – This is the highest maturity an Aetherium Crystal can reach. This incredibly powerful resource is used to upgrade Skills to Tier V.